Subject :revival plan of ubi 2016
News Dated: 2016-09-20
letter addressed to MD & CEO
United bank of India
Let me siege this opportunity of reiterating our age-old and unflinching faith and conviction in the principle of “Trade first and Union next”; and that till date, there has been no reason for us to deviate from this basic philosophy of our organization, which we have so lovingly cherished so long and has served as the corner stone of our solid foundation. We feel, Sir, that our Bank is at the cross roads. Unlike the previous situations, we have been thrown into huge challenges in almost all the parameters for ensuring all-round growth of our beloved Institution, which is providing bread & butter to all its employees, retirees and extending commercial & social services to millions of the customers around the nation. We are committed to play a much more decisive role vis-à-vis the growth & development of the Bank than ever before. We, on our part, shall stand committed to respond forthwith to any positive call given by you & your team of management.
The enormous multiplicity of trade unions may sometimes appear to be a hurdle in dealing with the issues pertaining to the human resources, but we have a strong belief that any issue can be resolved by mutual discussion and exchange of ideas.
Today we are submitting herewith our positive suggestions on a probable game changing revival strategy for an all-round turnaround of our beloved Bank for your kind perusal and effective consideration.
Thanks & regards,
(NIRMAL KUMAR DUTTA)
REVIVAL PLAN FOR UNITED BANK OF INDIA
AS PERCEIVED BY UBIOEA
We are enclosing a plan for future operations for three years including current year (2016-2017) for our Bank. We have envisaged future plan for 3 years for our Bank (2016-2017 to 2018-2019) on the basis of following principles and expectations. We like to place these before the management of the Bank for their consideration and taking into account while fixing the year wise plan for the next 3 years officially. Our exercise is on the basis of our limited knowledge and as such our prepared plan for next 3 years may contain technical mistakes, which need to be corrected at experts’ level. But the principles on which out exercise is based need serious consideration at the level of management.
Principles of future plan for 3 years for United Bank of India (2016-2017 to 2018-2019):
1) We must target a reasonable & humble deposit growth rate instead of targeting an unrealistic growth rate. Having regard to the present situations of world economy as well as our economy, we have thought to restrict our deposit growth rates for coming 3 years as:
2016 – 2017: 7.4%
2017 -- 2018: 8.8%
2018 -- 2019: 10.3%
We should concentrate and focus all attentions in mobilizing retail deposits only. As a matter of policy we should avoid bulk deposits attracting special/preferential rates.
2) Having regard to the position of our Bank, particularly NPA position, and economic situation prevailing in the country, we should not go aggressively for credit growth/ expansion. In the year 2016---2017 (current year), we may restrict our credit growth to 5% only. Our mobilized resources may be deployed 42% in credit & 53% in investment leaving 5% for taking care of CRR and cash requirements. This is our suggestion only. This may be examined at the level of experts by the management.
Next year (2017 --- 2018), we may go for credit expansion and allocate more resources for credit growth. Hopefully our country’s economic situation will improve much from the second half of the current year. On these assumptions we have envisaged growth rates for credit & investment portfolios as under:
Year Credit Growth Investment Growth
2016 ---2017 5% 10.2%
2017 --- 2018 12% 3.0%
2018 ---2019 13.1% 5.9%
3) Our most important area of thrust should be recovery of existing NPA and to revamp credit supervision & follow up to a level, which we need at present, to stop slippage of standard assets to non-standard category i.e. to non-performing assets. We should target to resolve the NPA stock as on 31/03/2016 within next 3 years like:
Year NPA Reduction Target (Rs. In crore)
2016 –2017 3150
2017 –2018 3150
2018 – 2019 3170
We have also envisaged restricting slippages for standard assets to non-performing assets in the following manner:
Year Slippage Ratio
For achieving above mentioned targets in NPA recovery front and credit supervision/ follow up front, we need to organize extensive workshops on NPA recovery & credit follow up and retail credit delivery camps as well as NPA recovery camps. We request our management to consider these suggestions.
4) According to our assessment, to achieve the targets envisaged in our future plan for 3 years, we would require additional capital in the following manner:
Year Additional Capital Required (Rs. In crore)
2016---2017 500 (over 2015—2016)
2017—2018 1200 (over 2016—2017)
2018—2019 1400 (over 2017---2018)
As per our assessment, in these 3 years, our Bank may likely to generate surplus out of operations at projected level in the following manner:
Year Operating profit Net profit before Tax( Rs. In crore)
2016—2017 1700 100
2017---2018 2800 800
2018---2019 3300 1000
To comply with Basel III requirements of capital Adequacy, Bank may likely to require additional capital in these 3 years in the following manners:
Year Total Additional capital required
CRAR (Rs. In crore)
2016—2017 10.20 500 (over the level of 2015-2016)
2017---2018 11.00 1200 (over the level of 2016-2017)
2018---2019 11.50 1400 (Over the level of 2017-2018)
Part of the additional capital required can be mobilized out of net profit generated in these 3 years after taking care of tax payments and dividend payments. For the rest amount Bank have to seek help from Central Govt. and take resort to raising capital through Basel III compliant tier II bond. Our Association is ready to co-operate with the management in implementing the envisaged Future Plan for 3 years which is designed for development of our Bank aiming to protect the interests of the customers as well as employees of the Bank.
This Future Plan may require some changes at different tiers in view of latest RBI directives on Basel III requirements which may not be known to us. However, with our limited knowledge this is an honest effort on the part of our Association to show our commitment for the turnaround of our Bank and to protect the interests of the customers & employees of our Bank.
We hope that management would give due consideration.
Subject :notice-13th-all india conference
News Dated: 2016-08-31
13th Triennial All India Conference of UBIOEA shall be held here in Kolkata in February, 2017.
Date, Venue and other details of the Conference Schedule shall be notified shortly.
All Regional Council Conferences must have to be completed, latest by January 15, 2017.
Regional Councils are advised to issue notice of their respective Regional Council Conference in consultation with the Central Council.
All bonafide non- defaulting members of the region in respect of payment of their subscriptions as well as Bipartite levy at the prescribed rate are eligible to take part in the Regional Council Conference.
All Regional Councils are advised to collect arrear levy from the defaulters; otherwise they should be treated as non members and disqualified from participations in the Conference.
From the Regional Council Conference, executive committee of the Regional Council, strictly as per the constitution, shall be elected. Delegates to the All India Conference shall be elected @ 1 delegate for every 10 members and 1 more for any major fraction thereof ( example: 7 delegates for 66-75 members).
All the non-defaulting lady members of the regions shall be nominated as Lady Delegates by virtue of their membership only.
No member should be elected office bearer or member of the executive Committee of the Regional Council or delegate to the All India Conference who happens to be a defaulter in respect of payment of levy.
Delegates’ and Observers’ Fees @Rs.1500/- per head are to be remitted to the Central Council along with the list of Delegates and Observers.
All dues payable to the Central Council are to be cleared by the respective regional Councils before commencement of the All India Conference.
(NIRMAL KUMAR DUTTA)
Subject :notice-13th-all india conference
News Dated: 2016-08-16
It has been decided in the Central Council Meeting held at Ranchi on August 13th-14th, 2016 that the 13th All India Conference of UBIOEA will be held in Kolkata on February 10th – 12th, 2017. The venue and other details of the said conference will be intimated later on.
All Regional Councils are requested to take note of the following and act accordingly:
1) All the Regional Conferences must be completed by December 2016.
2) The probable date of the Regional Conference is to be finalized and befitting programmes for successful holding of such conferences are to be chalked out.
3) A prior intimation is to be sent to the Central Council well in advance to ensure availability of the office bearers/ Central Council members of Central Councils in such conferences.
4) The delegates are to be elected for the Central Council Conference @ one delegate for every ten members or part thereof.
5) All bonafide non-defaulting members of the Association, who have not been elected as delegates, will be allowed to participate in the Conference as observers as per recommendation of the Regional Secretaries.
6) Delegates’ and Observers’ fees @ Rs.1500/- per head are to be reemitted to the Central Council along with the list of delegates and observers so nominated.
7) All dues payable to the Central Council are to be cleared by the respective Regional Councils before commencement of the Central Council Conference.
Subject :Scale Promotion Process for promotion of officers (generalist)
News Dated: 2016-05-17
letter addressed to G.M (H.R)
We invite your kind attention to Paragraph 3 of the said circular dealing with "Eligibility Criteria “for candidates intending to participate in the promotion process, which stipulates, inter-alia, that the number of candidates who were eligible on the previous occasion and fresh candidates equal to the no of vacancies are eligible to apply for the current promotion process, provided however, that the fresh candidates have completed minimum 3 years of satisfactory service in JMG Scale-1/Scale-2 for promotion under Fast / Merit Track and 5 years of satisfactory service for promotion under Normal/Seniority Track. So far so good.
But the whole idea of promotion under Fast/Merit Track seems to have been diluted when it is further stipulated under cover of Note (b) that only the fresh candidates equal to the number of anticipated vacancy will be considered under Normal Track, and remaining fresh candidates who are senior to the candidates under Fast Track beyond the number of anticipated vacancy will be transferred to Fast Track.
We feel, "seniority" factor has been weighed heavily and disproportionately in the said promotion policy, both in the Normal/Seniority Track and also in the Fast/Merit Track, while equity and justice demands that both the factors should have been weighed more or less equally in view of the normal and legitimate promotional aspirations of both the relatively senior as well as the junior groups of officers. This is exactly where we find some inequity and infirmity in the promotion policy, which in all fairness, reasonably deserves some introspection and review and modification, if necessary.
Please recall that in our last structured meeting held with you on 20.05.2016 we raised the point, and your response was as under:
1) The policy was formulated by the Board in terms of Government guidelines, and cannot be changed by the administration.
2) The policy was passed in 2014 and has been in force since then.
3) This is not the first promotion process in terms of the said new policy and there was no such urge for review from any quarter earlier.
All these points were too strong to be ignored by us. But, Sir, if the deformity/deficiency is noticed, it should be addressed, and resolved in the best interest of the institution, even now, though it was inadvertently allowed to persist so long.
We propose detailed bilateral interaction in the matter and resubmission of a review note to the Board for their consideration.
Go to Archieve....